[pmmail-list] Multi email account handling with one PMMail account

Dave Saville pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:37:33 +0100 (BST)

I have been asking some odd questions on these lists over the past
few weeks, so I thought I would tell you all what I have been up to.

I have seen several discussions over time with regard to having
multiple email accounts in pmmail and the problems of moving stuff
around. I also have multiple accounts and until recently had each one
defined in PMMail.

First let me list what I have.

An email account from my ISP. This was handled by PMM a/c 1

Several email addresses on my own domain. Handled by weasel and
further PMM a/c's

A requirement to access some of my mail via a web client, when at a
client say. With all the crap flying about the net these days,
leaving mail on the ISP server is a nono as it will fill up in the
blink of an eye. Also the pain of replicating filters for the
multiple PMM accounts. Not to mention sometimes wanting to reply from
a different account from the one the mail was in.

There is a bolt on goody for weasel called popget that can be down
loaded from the weasel site. This will get mail from *another* pop
server and dump it into weasel's outboxes. I use a slightly modified
version of this to fetch from my ISP. Such that any mail it gets is
just dumped in the "dave" outbox. Weasel thus never needs to know
about the the domain etc. as it never hits the incoming filters. But
is happy to serve it up on request.

Additionally any mail that comes in direct to weasel gets dumped in
dave. There is one account in PMM that looks at dave on weasel and
therefore sees all.

I have my PMM filters structured such that anything that hits my
inbox and has not been filtered elsewhere I most likely need to read.
I have another filter that is only enabled when I leave home. This
takes a copy of anything that makes it as far as my inbox and dumps
it into a second weasel outbox called dave2.

I have set up webmail/2 to give me external access to the dave2
account. If I send a message, or reply to one, from webmail/2 in gets
sent to weasel. An incoming weasel filter picks it up, and if from
webmail2 sends it via pmmsend - So I get a copy in my PMM sent
folder. The filter then drops the message because PMM will re-send
it. I prefer that rather than CCing myself.

Inside PMM I have turned off the auto include when replying and
written a canned reply that does the same and includes the email
address that the message was originally sent to. An outgoing PMM
filter removes this line and uses it to hack the headers such that
the reply always appears to have come from the address it was sent to
- but I only have to mess about with one account, one set of PMM
filters and *it works*. Beautifully in fact.

This was the cause of a few odd questions over the last month or so.
It has been running flawlessly for some weeks now and I am really
pleased with it.  It saves just so much time mucking about across
accounts etc.  The really sexy bit is that I can add other ISP
accounts simply by adding a popget for that address - and *nothing*
else anywhere in the system needs changing.

--
Regards

Dave Saville