[pmmail-list] Antivirus and PMMail2000

Dave Saville pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:58:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:57:29 -0800 (PST), James F. Marshall wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:02:15 +0100, Volker Beushausen wrote:
>
>> " which Antivirus Software works with PM?
>
>Norman does.  It shuts down PMMail when a virus is detected.  I
>need to watch which message is downloading at the time and then
>telnet in to delete that message.  Perhaps not the best way to
>handle the situation under OS/2 -eCS, which does not really need
>to fear viruses.

Well actually it hangs PMM when it sees a virus. There is a better
version in the offing though.

There are two problems, if you have on access scanning on then any
filter type script can't read the email - 'cos its infected. If you
tell Norman to exclude the mail directories then you cannot check
them from the command line or in a script - stupid program says "you
told me you don't want to do stuff in here" and quits. I have asked
Norman to add a switch to ignore the exclude list. I want to be able
to check in a filter and put something into the message so I know a
virus was removed but it is not possible. If you have on access on
and use *any* type of incoming filter then you will have a hang
because the filter tries to read the mail and Norman jumps in with a
popup which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a 24*7
operation. :-)

--
Regards

Dave Saville