[pmmail-list] is there a way in pm mail?

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:36:57 -0500

Marty Rimpau wrote:

>Hi list, I'm using pm mail version 2717, and Norton anti-virus version
>2001, and it uses port 127.0.0.1 to receive mail on, but first, do all
>the Norton versions use this port to filter mail for virus's, and if
>so, is there a way to free up this port for other purposes requiring a
>static ip address such as streaming with a shoutcast server?  Thanks in
>advance, just curious, though once the one port was free, you'd have to
>know another port to use for Norton.

That's not a port, that's an IP address and it corresponds to your local
computer (typically called localhost). Different applications can still
use different ports (e.g., 110 for POP3, 25 for SMTP, etc.).

In some cases applications will allow you to use different ports. For
example, I have POPFile using port 4110 instead of 110 for POP3 access.

Are you having any particular problem, or just worried about multiple
apps using 127.0.0.1?