[pmmail-list] PMMail and The Bat!

Stephen Eickhoff pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:08:34 -0500

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:47:14 -0800, Tim Roberts wrote:

>In many cases, he is right, but you have to balance the philosophy
>against the real risk.  Outlook, for example, uses the worst possible
>scheme: the messages are hidden inside a single file with a proprietary
>and non-human-readable format, so if there is a problem, you are just
>screwed.  Further, Outlook is known to have corruption problems when the
>file size gets large (1-2GB).  That's an extremely high risk solution.

You just described the mechanism used by the top three messaging solutions for
PC servers: Notes, GroupWise, and Exchange. I know that GroupWise alters it
slightly by storing all messages under 4KB individually. If storing data all in
one large file was so bad, I don't think those newfangled things called
"databases" would have caught on. Your filesystem is really just a flat
database of sorts - it's not the concept but the implementation that determines
how reliable this system is.