[pmmail-list] thunderbird?

David M. Nelson pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:01:44 -0700

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:30:43 -0400, Steve Richards wrote:

>Try  right clicking the email  and then select "edit as new.." then just
>send it.
>
>I think this is roughly equivalent to "bounce"

I wish that were so. That method clears the original headers and makes
the message appear to have originated from me. I do not wish to do
that.

The utility of "Bounce" is that it keeps the original sender and
Reply-To information intact, with only an addition to the routing
records.

Here is one instance where it is useful:

I am webmaster of several sites, and often have e-mails directed to me
by people who are too lazy to look up the appropriate contact
information (usually right there on the same page they are referring
to). Forwarding to the proper person would work, but unless I include
the sender in the forwarded message, any replies would be sent to me.
(That is, unless the recipient is *very* responsible and actually
checks to whom they are replying, manually adding the original sender
and preferably deleting my address.) At worst, the original sender
doesn't get the reply. At best, I'm still included in the loop for
something that I would rather never see.

On top of that, forwarding adds an additional header and footer,
without actually increasing the information content of the message.

Consider my other option with PMMail. I just bounce the message to the
appropriate recipient, who can then reply as if it was originally sent
to them. I can stay out of the loop, and all parties are happy. To the
<1% of people who actually pay attention to the header information,
there is no concealment of how the message was routed.

It's also handy if I want an identical copy of a message on another
mail client or in another location, without adding extraneous
formatting or destroying PGP signatures.

Simple. Useful. I would not miss it if I hadn't had it for many years
in PMMail.

--
David M. Nelson
<solomani@earthlink.net>