[pmmail-list] [mkc] thunderbird?

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:03:12 -0700

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:45:30 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, John Bridges wrote:
>
>> No matter what anti-SPAM software you use, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND CREATING A
>> WHITELIST FROM PAST EMAIL!
>
>Due to the common practice of spammers forging email addresses, I made
>sure the scoring for whitelist matches wasn't too low (I think the default
>is -100, I changed it to -5).

Although I have run into this with common general addresses, in particular
the addresses used for eBay bid/info notices, I removed these few general
addresses rather than reduce the whitelist score since the remaining
addresses are just too obscure to be an issue. I very much doubt I'll ever
get spam addressed from Steve Wendt (grin).

Actually, it's quite suprising how few common general addresses have been
abused by spammers. I've really only been hit hard by ebay return addresses,
never Amazon, or Half.com, or Match.com, or Epinions, or any of dozens of
other "big" sites.

I do recommend everyone remove themselves from any kind of whitelist. SPAM is
often addressed from yourself.

Also if you have your email on a small ISP (under 100 users), I would remove
anyone else on the same ISP from your whitelist since spammers often CC all
the other recipients on the same ISP.