[pmmail-list] Interest in New Edition of PMMail

Walter F. Metcalf pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:48:34 -0500 (EST)

<-------------snip------------>

>> Before VOICE commits to this project, which could be costly and
>developer-intensive, at least in the short term, we want to get a
>> slightly better idea of the usage and interest in PMMail for OS/2, so=

>we have created a poll to determine this.
>
>   Why should it be costly? There is this Sourceforge project for makin=
>PMMail/2 an open source project -- or it was: I just did a search on
>Sourceforge.org for PMMail, but that only turned out a "PMMail
>archiver".
>
>   So that means that the current owners of the PMMail source were
>resolved to give the PMMail source to the public for free,

I think the owner may have changed his mind.

That's the main reason for the "costly".  I very recently asked the curr=
ent owner to donate the product to VOICE, but instead he wants to sell i=
t.  ;-(

and I think
>this is the way to be pursued. I remember that several people writing o=
>this list have voiced interest in contributing work towards improving
>PMMail after it is made into open source.
>
>   And PMMail really does need a big overhaul, not only for adding some=

>more charsets (which should be made in a way that those could be added =

>by users in form of a plugin), but most importantly, the MIME
>implementation needs a complete rewrite, if I am not mistaken.
>
>   OTOH, I think that it would be wrong to just revamp the OS/2 version=

>and let the Windows version rot and go bust. One should try to unify th=
>sources and try to do that in such a way that this product can also be =

>implemented on Linux and Mac.

That's not out of the question, but we haven't  discussed it yet.

>Yours,
>L=81ko Willms
>Frankfurt/Main

Walter F. Metcalf