[pmmail-list] Interest in New Edition of PMMail

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:28:52 -0800

On 12/21/05, Xav <xav@glenmere.com> wrote:
> This would imply that something is being sold "as is", without
> alteration.  Therefore whatever is being sold includes the proprietary
> pieces.  I fail to see what, if the seller can sell all title, needs
> to be done by the seller or their agent/developer.  I find the whole
> situation murky.  If someone else has an interest that can block open
> sourcing it, surely they can block the sale of it.

Not at all!  If PMMail/2 was written using a commercial library, or
code they paid an outside developer to write, then the license for
that part of the code could preclude open sourcing those parts of
PMMail/2.

I am a bit surprised that it's such an integral part of PMMail/2 that
they cannot just disable the feature(s) that depend on the outside
code.

>  Either way, it
> would appear to have little resale value, other than trying to stiff
> someone for a higher price for e.g "emotional attachment" reasons.
> Pig in a poke springs to mind.

I agree, virtually no resale value. The assumption is BSW are asking
money because they sense that someone might be willing to pay to open
it up. Or at least pay to finish the cleaning up process.