[pmmail-list] PMM2TB: Conversion to Thunderbird

Steve Marvin pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:34:52 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:36:09 +0100 (CET), Guillaume Gay wrote:

>Bonjour Maurice and others,
>
>On 2005-01-17 at 09:34:46, you wrote:
>>Further exception: it does not read unicode :(
>That what I also miss in PMMail.  This could be solved with an external
>script (REXX for example) that would transcode into a supported codepage
>the body of each incoming message.  This would unfortunately alter the

I don't have any need for unicode so this doesn't bother me, but I
realize that there are more in need of this than not these days, so
it would be a nice addition to support unicode.

>I miss the fact it doesn't propose "mail templates", mails with predefined
>subjects and bodies (eventually using internal variables).  I guess this
>could also be done with a script that would feed the "draft" folder with
>customized mails...

Actually PMMail does support this "CannedReplies" are not just available
as replies but when creating new messages and forwarding also. There are
variables for date and time and others that you can use. All you need
to do is open a new message, right click in the body and select the
"CannedReply".

>PMMail has a lot little very convient features and is very light compared
>to ThunderBird/Mozilla Messenger.  The later one is free and OpenSourced,
>OK. But is there anyone here with enough free time to optimize (!) it, and
>add it the features (internal variables, filters, external scripts, canned
>replies, ...) we would expect it to have?
>
>I could be wrong, but even if PMMail is ever Opensourced one day, I don't
>think there will be that many developers to cope with it and fix the bugs
>quickly.

On the contrary, I think if it were released open source (with both the
win and os/2 version available) I think there would be a lot of interest
in it (because of it's features and possibilities) and probably quite
a few willing to work on it.