[pmmail-list] PMMail/2 and Earthlink

Kevin L. Hill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:41:59 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:04:41 -0500, Michael Lueck wrote:

>Sounds like it not only expects authenticated, but encrypted as well. You would
>need to get a sniffer inline to see what PMMail / the server are chatting
>about.
>
>Michael Lueck
>Lueck Data Systems
>http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

Michael,

Thanks for your reply.  As you can see - - I've been busy!

I did some more research on comp.os.os2.mail-news and found out that other
people have had similar problems with the same error message.  Following one
suggestion in a thread in September, I used iptrace and ipformat to see what
negotiations were taking place.  I could compare successful negotiations
between my computer and DSLExtreme and failed negotiations between my
computer and Earthlink - - and I could see that they failed when Earthlink
expected a user ID and password.

Another message on comp.os.os2.mail-news suggested running an SMTP
daemon to intercept outgoing messages and send them on.  I went to
http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/mail.html and downloaded the SMTP daemon
and SMTP client programs by Bob Eager.  It took me a while to configure things
correctly, but this WORKS !!  These programs have been updated as recently as
December 2004 and the client can work with several forms of authorization.

Basically, the daemon intercepts outgoing emails and places the files in a
specified directory.  The client program send all of the files in that directory to the
specified SMTP server (Earthlink).  Even though this involves two steps, on my
system it is faster than either Firefox or Mozilla sending directly to Earthlink.  I'll be
able to continue using PMMail for a while longer - - it is showing its age but I do
prefer a text based interface.

And by the way.... using iptrace and ipformat while the SMTP client is sending to
Earthlink ..... the transactions involving the user ID and password are encrypted
as you suspected.

Thanks.

Kevin L. Hill
Long Beach, CA