[pmmail-list] Exporting fromm PMM to Outlook?

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:20:45 -0500

Sorin Srbu wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 04:56:28 -0800, Don Buska wrote:
>

>>I too would be interested in such a conversion.  I have many-many years
>>worth of PM Mail I'd love to convert over.  I still use PMMAIL for my
>>private accounts on both OS/2 and W2K.  Like Sorin we have recently started
>>migrating the servers here at work to WIN2003 Servers.  No NetBeui on these
>>babies and since OS/2 has lagged so far behind in the networking arena I
>>will no longer be able to use it here at work much, except for standalone
>>and general internet stuff.
>>

>Just spoke to the former unix-admin at our dept, and we discussed
>how a migration may be doable:
>
>As you might know, all mails in Pmm are single messages in clear
>text. We were discussing whether all those single files couldn't be
>concatenated into a big single file (one file per mailfolder), then
>renamed to mailbox.mbx, and in import that file into Outlook. We
>thought tjhis might definetly work, but needs testing on
>non-critical mails first.
>
>I'll try this soon, and get back to this list.
>
>If there aren't any spcial tools for this out there, the aboe way
>may be worth trying.
>
>HTH.

I have a few tools and I do not remember which I used for what....

I have a C++ program written by John L. Swartzentruber, complete with
source code. I think that John made changes after I received source code
from him....

I have a CMD program written by D C Saville that can move an address
book. This did not work for me, so I wrote a PERL script that did!

I have another set of PERL scripts that I did not bother to unzip to see
who made them, but they are marked to help with conversion....

I think that I simply compiled John's code and then used his code to
generate the single mbx file as you say. I performed more manual work to
generate csv files from my address books, which I then imported into
Thunderbird.

I can send what ever I have if you desire.

Andrew Pitonyak
andrew@pitonyak.org