[pmmail-list] DynamicMail [Was: alright, I've had enough ...]

Kenn Yuill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 19 May 2005 14:36:35 -0400

L.Willms wrote as follows on 05/18/05 04:35 AM:

>On Wed, 18 May 2005 03:26:59 -0400, Kenn Yuill wrote:
>

>>> Yes, try <http://www.dbsoft.org/dmail.php> for Brian Smith's
>>> DynamicMail, a clone of PMMail.
>>

>   Well, I could not find a link on how to get that thing. But on the
>"About" pages many mentions of unfinished work ...

I sent a note to the author, Brian Smith, requesting an update on the
status of DynamicMail and received the following response:

"

Well DynamicMail development is at best sporadic.  The MySQL plugin as a
mail storage backend is a large step forward in the viability of
DynamicMail as a client moving forward.  Right now it is fully functional
as a basic email client (using the minimal or MySQL backends).  However
the user interface requires lots of work, which is time consuming and
tedious.  Which is where I fall apart, I get the interesting part done
and I have trouble following through on the details.  Ken Ames has been
looking into assisting in the user interface development.

What needs to be done:

Address Book
Filters
Attachments
Spellcheck
HTML Message support (still debating how to do this)

What should be done:
IMAP support
SSL support

.... and like usual what I really need is a kick in the butt.  :)

So basically there is no timeline set, I work on it when it strikes me.
If I could just sit down and write non-stop there are probably a couple
months to a beta.  But that doesn't seem very likely right now.  Or if I
can get Ken Ames or others to pitch in.... perhaps it would not be long
at all.

Hope this clarifies things.

"

As with many projects, it appears that demand for the author's time on
other matters leaves little for the continuous advance of DynamicMail.
Perhaps there are programmers in this audience or elsewhere who could
make some time available to assist the author with this project.  For
any interested programmer, the author's e-mail address can be found at
his site.
Of course, an alternate course of action may be to open a page
(account?) at NetLabs and/or SourceForge, with a call for assistance on
some of the areas mentioned above, if his intention is a release to open
source.

--
 Ciao,
      Kenn

           _____ A Quote for Today _____

If you want happiness for an hour take a nap.
 If you want happiness for a day go fishing.
 If you want happiness for a month get married.
 If you want happiness for a year inherit a fortune.
 If you want happiness for a lifetime help others.
       - Chinese Proverb