[pmmail-list] Warning: PMmail 2000 can corrupt attachments when "detaching"

L.Willms technik at willms-edv.de
Mon Dec 4 09:23:00 CET 2006

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 16:53:45 -0400, Richard Beeson wrote:

> I was testing the Thunderbird email client, and sent myself an email
with a PDF attachment. PMMail corrupted the attachment name, turning it
into
> "Unamed_Attachment.ATT", and wouldn't open it in Adobe Acrobat.

  It could be that Thunderbird sent the file as the first and only
bodypart, while PMMail expects a first body part as text, and binary
files as an attachment.

> The other thing that happens is that PMMail doesn't recognize files
with the .JPE extension. This is another form of Jpeg file that is sent
as embedded graphics
> by a lot of other users.

  Embedded graphics? That sounds like a HTML body part with embedded
graphics which are referenced within the eMail body via a "CID" (i.e.
Content ID). Have a loook at the eMail by opening it, and looking via
the "Window" menu (at least thats how it is called in PMMail for OS/2)
for the "View full message"; this then shows the full undecoded message.

  PMMail is not able to deal with this kind of internal referencing;
this is one of the MIME-features which is missing from PMMail (the whole
MIME-engine in PMMail needs a complete overhaul).

Yours,
Lüko Willms