[pmmail-list] Interest in New Edition of PMMail

Dr. Martin R. Hadam Hadam.Martin at MH-Hannover.de
Thu May 25 01:39:18 MEST 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:19:47 -0500 (EST), Walter F. Metcalf wrote:

 Hello Walter:

 there are not many individuals to check. The single person that
obviously has most knowledge on mail/news-related RFC as well as
related programming on OS/2 is Trevor Hemsley, who has been trying very
hard to get a hold on PMMail for quite some time now. He has even
declined to start up with other interesting programming tasks because
he was still hoping to get the PMMail code. While the latter is not
publicly known, both the qualifications as well as the specific
interest & activity of the person is easily discovered when searching
os/2-related fora. If I hadn't found this notice myself, I'd not made a
public announcement in the first place.

 Now reading about your ballot but not being a VOICE member, here are
my two cents:

(i) provide a public announcement OR a hint (because VOICE may be bound
by an NDA not to disclose that amount) on the amount required for the
licence itself.

(ii) start a worldwide, open call for donations to acquire the license.
VOICE is only supposed to do the management required for the license
transfer. You'd be surprised how much money you will get... (from VOICE
non-members). Or is this a new trend: every club/2 tries to get hold of
some valuable code and makes it only available to members?? Not a
clever idea IMHO

(iii) once you have the money and VOICE has acquired PMMail, send the
code to Trevor and just wait. VOICE has done its job.

 This way, it may not turn out as a VOICEd-version of PMMail - but I'm
certain that this way, everybody in the OS/2 community will see a host
of improvements on PMMail soon.

 with best wishes

 Martin

>We have not found anyone who fits Dr. Hadams' qualifications.  As for
>VOICE needing the cash, we are far more likely to lose money on this
>deal.
>
>Walter
>

>On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:16:05 -0600 (CST), Maynard wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:42:42 +0100, Dr. Martin R. Hadam wrote:
>>
>>>Why don't you turn to the people who have publicly been quoted as
>>>being very much interested to run this project
>>
>>You can remind us who that is, please?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>--Maynard

>Walter F. Metcalf