[pmmail-list] PMMail WInXP+Vista future as open source

Richard Beeson Richardelli at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 19:18:33 CET 2007

I have resorted to a workaround that, klutzy as it is, does the job: use two different email clients.

At the beginning of the year I switched to Thunderbird because it has all the current bells and whistles. It does most things fine, but the quoteback is awkward,
the automatic filters won't work on outgoing mail, and archiving specific messages is a nightmare. I recently spent two days archiving 6 months' worth of emails,
and decided enough was enough.

My workaround is this: I restored PMMail as the default client, but have it set so that it does not remove mail from the server, and it truncates any message over
150k, so it doesn't download all the bloated HTML or inline graphics that people send so often. PMMail downloads messages as soon as I load it, and checks for
mail periodically while I'm online. I use it as a text-only client for my important messages. I have ingoing and outgoing complex filters so my mail is completely
organized, and once a week I use a simple file manager (EF Commander, the only currently updated survivor of the OS/2 days), to synchronize my mail folders
to mirror folders on an outboard drive.

Once a day I load Thunderbird, which is not set to be the default client, and is set to download mail in manual mode only. It is also set to clear messages from
the server. It brings in everything, including the HTML and graphic stuff, so I can see what's there. I do use incoming filters for a basic organization of mail. I
don't use it to respond to anything; I use PMMail for that. Since I'm not worried about archiving the graphic stuff, I'm freed of the hassle of breaking files out of
Thunderbird into separate EML files to be archived. Most of that stuff can just be deleted after I look at it.

I really wish PMMail could be updated. There's a similar program, Pegasus Mail, that does have the modern features, but it also saves all the mail in one file, so
we're back where we started. Eudora, the same. They all put the mail into one file. Ludicrous. PMMail is absolutely the only program that saves each message
as a separate file. I can search the archives in EF Commander, get a list of files containing the text I'm looking for, and either open them in PMMail or open
them from inside the file manager in Notepad. No other client allows that.

This workaround of mine may seem complicated, but in practice it's not, really. I'm so happy to be back with PMMail as my default client that I'll keep using it
until the day comes that the operating system no longer allows it to function. I don't know how it runs in Vista, but I'm not taking the chance. I'll stick with XP.

Richard

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:19:16 +0100, Ben Stover wrote:

>If Blueprint Software is not willing to develop PMMail for WinXP,Vista they could make the source code
>freely available. This way users could improve some necessary features.

>I don't think that they sell currently any PMMail licenses

>So why not make it Open Source? Otherwise PMMail will we die silently.

>Ben

>On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:57:25 +0000 (GMT), Dave Saville wrote:

>>On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:09:58 -0500, Jim Ferguson wrote:

>>>Happy pmmail user here just wondering if any gnomes are working to bring us into the 21st C?

>>Not unless you are using OS/2 or ECS :-)

>>--
>>Regards

>>Dave Saville

Richard Beeson