[pmmail-list] PMMail2000 for Windows stopped in its tracks!

John Angelico talldad at kepl.com.au
Thu Jun 10 14:39:46 CEST 2010

Hi all.

I use PMMail for OS/2 v3 at home and PMMail 2000 for Win at work (latest
release I think is build 2382 - from memory, as I am at home now).

I have had the PMMail 2000 licence for a long time - at least 4-5 years.

Suddenly on Monday morning this week (AEST) when I started PMMail at work,
I see a large message box to say that "my evaluation period had expirede
and I would need to purchase PMMail. Meanwhile, I could not send or receive
emails, except for the one containing the unlock code."

Mild Panic - has a virus attacked my system and corrupted the Registry,
wiping out the registration details?

Medium Panic - looking at the windows and fonts - gone back to defaults - I
deduce that the PMMail INI has been wiped. So I berate myself for not
backing up the INI along with the data. No idea for sure, but could a rogue
virus email have snuck in and damaged the INI?

Workaround - use webmail to access mail on the host server, while forking
out money at BMT Micro for another licence and unlock code. And I am in
Australia, and the AUD/USD exchange rate has gone against me!

What else could go wrong? Well, here we are nearly at the end of the week,
and no unlock code has arrived as yet.

Next: one of my clients, using PMMail 2000 at home has tonight had the same
experience. He also has a work computer with another PMMail 2000 and is
wondering what he will find in the morning.

New Theory: no longer suspecting any malicious intruder, but wondering
about a 'drop-dead date' built into the program? A new form of Y2K bug?

Has anyone else had this experience?

And what did you do?

Best regards,

John Angelico