Colored Backgrounds

Michael Lightfoot pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 23:47:47 +1100

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:24:04, David Gaskill wrote:

>What's wrong with HTML e-mail anyway?

Wastes bandwidth, CPU and diskspace without adding more than very
marginally to information content.

>I have seen suggestions that if it is widely adopted the Internet will grind to a halt;
>HTML e-mail is becoming ever more common and the net is speeding up.

Where?  Can I join that part of the net?

>Can't help wondering if those that carried messages in  forked sticks regarded the
>introduction of illuminated manuscripts as entirely unnecessary and burnt all
>communications received in this format....

Not many messages were _ever_ transmitted via illuminated manuscripts.
For a start most people couldn't wait for the several hours it took the
monk to prepare each paragraph.  Some beautiful, but mostly unread
bibles were prepare this way, not much else.  Sort of useful as a
parable for the net.  How many of us have given up trying to view
someone's Website after waiting _minutes_ for the home page to load,
with all it's GIFs, frames, buggy javascript and finally java
application producing a really boring little animation.

I'll stick to message sticks thank you very much.

------
Michael Lightfoot
SysIX Unix Systems Consulting
P.O. Box 155				Ph	61 2 6258 8185
CHARNWOOD  ACT  2615		Fax	61 2 6258 1945

michael.lightfoot@canb.auug.org.au	ftpmaster@tip.net.au
http://www.tip.net.au/~michal