Wish List Another Beginning

John Thompson pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:47:25 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:33:16 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Thursday, December 16, 1999, 4:22:59 AM, John wrote:
>
>> It's pretty nice, and reasonably fast on a decently-powered machine
>> (PII-350 w/ 128MB) but I still miss a lot from PMMAIL.

>    *sputter*  "Decently powered" is a PII-350!?!?  Oh man.  The server this
>list is run on is running a P5-100 w/64Mb RAM.  My main machine was a K6-200
>w/64Mb of RAM until I upgraded to a Celeron-400 w/128Mb.

Don't get too worked up, Steve.  I have three machines on my home network.
 The linux machine (described above) is the newest and most powerful.  The
other two run OS/2.  This one is a 5x86/133 with 32MB and the other is a
486sx25 with 12MB.  I can get Java programs to run OK on this machine, but
even with IBM's latest jre they're still annoyingly  slower than running
native apps.  I don't even want to going into how java "works" (I can't
bring myself to say "runs") on the 486sx25...

BTW, this 5x86/133 runs the network's news and mail servers for the other
two machines...

>I personally feel that anything higher than the Pentium class machine is
>not needed for any sort of productivity application, including email.  A
>PII-350, therefore, isn't "decently powered", it is "overly powered".

Maybe for a single user, but we routinely have three users logged into
that linux box doing work at the same time.  Get a couple instances of
StarOffice/Netscape/compilers/etc. all running at the same time and you
start to appreciate having a little extra processor power and memory.

> *grumble, grumble*  Still remember doing off-line QWK mail on an 8086
>w/640k.  *mumble, grumble*

Quit yer grippin'.  I retired my last CP/M machine only this past July.

John (john.thompson@attglobal.net)

John (john.thompson@attglobal.net)