Some questions and considerations about PMMAIL and PMMAIL98

Roger Lindmark PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:02:28 +0100

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:19:21 -0300, Vinmcius Provenzano wrote:

>7)In Brazil we speak portuguese, a language with lots of accents. I receive mail also in french and italian, and some
>times i have problems with these accents. Friends told me to use Latin 1... It solved the problem with 80% of the
>messages, but others still appear with problems (eg. Le monde diplomatique mailing list). There is some way to solve the
>problem or I just have to pray? :)))

I have had problems with PMMail/2 and the swedish national characters,
which gets distorted in e-mails from certain Windows users and Hotmail
accounts. This problem I have solved with help of Rolf Lochb|hler, who
wrote a REXX-script Charconv.cmd that converts to  the correct three
national characters. I have now coupled this script to a filter for
incoming messages so they are converted automatically, which is very
nice. However, I have discovered by chance that the Windows e-mail
messages are displayed correctly in Messenger in Communicator. I guess
this might be due to the fact that Communicator is ported from Windows
and thus  more Windows compliant than PMMail.

There is a converter Brane (Brane.exe) available for OS/2, DOS and
32-bit Windows. Maybe you could try it to convert your messages that
are not correct via a filter. The OS/2 version of this program is
brane10.zip and I guess the Win95 version is named branw10.zip.
Brane is freeware.

Sincerely Yours

Roger

http://www.algonet.se/~roger-li