The 5th PMMail 'Money Talks' Release-the-Damn-Updates-Already Tally Sheet

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:12:31 +0200, Anders Gjerl v wrote:

>>>Total amount pledged so far: $875
>>
>>Whoopee!  That's almost enough for 3 days' salary & overhead for
>>one really poorly paid programmer!  That should really motivate
>>Bob & Ike to work for weeks or months to fix bugs and prepare
>>a new update.

>Well - what an optimist :o) Agreed - it's not a lot. But this list is
>ONLY for people that are on this mailing list (which is not an official
>list BTW), that already have PMMail/98 or PMMail/2 in the latest
>version, that are willing to pay for an upgrade that - AFAIK - is ready

True, but suppose there are even 10 times more people...  That is
still only roughly month's worth of expenses for one person.  That
probably isn't even worth it- though we are getting closer.

>for release (or very close to anyway). I know of three to four people
>not on this list, that would pay for an upgrade, and I might even be
>willing to pay for the Windows upgrade as well (still considering that
>one). I think that there is a decent amount of money in releasing
>PMMail - if it's ready. If not, then why don't they just say: "Look
>folks - we don't have the time, and it's not paying the bills for us
>anymore, so there won't be a new version - sorry!" At least that's an
>honest statement, that one can like or not. But we would know what we
>have.

If it is ready, I'd agree about releasing it.  And it would be nice
to have some word one way or another.  But hey, this is business.
In business you just don't go around making solid statements...

People need to put this thing in perspective.  These guys are trying
to make a living, and like it or not, writing apps for OS/2 is not
a profit venture.  They started great with PMMail, and my guess is
that they've saturated the market with it, and sales have dropped.
Upgrades can't keep you alive forever, and not everyone is buying
them.  Heck, I've seen people just recently still using version 1.51.
Many people are putting unrealistic expectations on SouthSoft to
produce software.

Sorry, that's reality.

Rodney
--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.