SMTP Not Working

John Thompson pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:18:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:17:29 -0700 (PDT), Atomic Frog wrote:

>My SMTP doesn't seem to be working anymore. I used to grab
>things from my POP server and send them off via SMTP, however, it
>stopped working in the past few weeks. I don't believe I've made a
>change in my settings.
>
>I get this typical error message in the log:
>
>Thu, 23 Sep 99 18:10:39 ==> 550 <bigjoe@joes_company.com>... Relaying
>denied ; This is the error that resulted from the RCPT TO command
>
>Sending via POP still works. As does SMTP, if I send to another
>recipient with the same domain, but not outside.
>
>For example, my mail server is: mail.isp-host.com
>If I send to myself or another user @isp-host.com using SMTP, it's
>fine. As soon as I try an address outside the site, I get the error
>described above.
>
>Can anyone tell me if this is a problem in my PMMail setup or my ISP
>problem?
>I have it using the default Port 25 on SMTP.

Many ISP's are restricting access to their SMTP servers to users within
their domain; this helps thwart spammers who often find an suspecting ISP
with an open SMTP server to relay their spam.

There are a couple ways around this.  First, you can see if your ubc.ca
service provider has anSMTP server you can use.  Or, you can run your own
SMTP server on your machine.

John (john.thompson@ibm.net)