Attachments: What we know so far...

Michael Vislocky pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:24:19 -0400

With Brian Morrison's help, we've learned a few things about one
specific attachment problem.

1.  The attached file was OK and intact and was named "Unnamed
Attachment 1.ATT".

2.  PMMail could not determine the correct filename for the attachment.

3.  Microsoft Outlook Express WAS able to identify the correct
filename.

4.  In this specific case, the originating mailer was "X-Mailer:
Microsoft Internet E-mail/MAPI - 8.0.0.4211"

5.  When the attachment was saved and the extension manually changed to
the correct type, the file could be opened.

So, if you are so inclined, you might be able to save the attachment
that you cannot open, determine what kind of file it is, and change the
extension.  This process is easier with a hex viewer.

Unfortunately, I'm responsible for picking PMMail as our company's
standard mailer and some of my colleagues are not as enthusiastic about
solving puzzles as I might be.  All they want to do is read their mail
and open attachments.

I'm afraid if I don't find a better solution for PMMail, they'll give
up and switch to MS.

Mike Vislocky
Network Orange, Inc.