PGP: sequencing messages

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:04:14 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:55:51 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>2: I then stressed that nearly all other similar products across three
>different networks, all of which employ MSGIDs, have historically had the user
>agent, not the transport agent, assign a MSGID and that PMMail was not falling
>in line with this established behavior as it should.

OK, this is what you said. If we agree that "what most programs do"
is "what *should* be done" then you're right.

>    IE, let's take a different case.  If PMMail didn't quote with the > string
>and didn't provide any means to force it to do so people would consider that a
>bug even though the > quoting is not an official standard.  It is simply what
>has become common practice and convention over the past decade or two.

People may consider it to be a bug, but if it was *designed* that
way, it's not. To me a bug is something that is broken. Something
that fails to operate as it was intended.

>> OK, I don't know that it's the SMTP server but since PMMail/2
>> apparently doesn't assign message IDs when it originally sends
>> messages, I assume it's not PMMail/2 assigning the Resent-Message-ID
>> when it bounces it. This is what happens:
>
>> I send a message with PMMail/2. I receive the message in PMMail/2,
>> and it has this message ID:

>> I then bounce the received message with PMMail/2 and receive it
>> again. The message now has these two lines in it:

>> Subsequent bounces and receives in PMMail/2 do not add any more lines
>> with the word "message" in them.
>
>    So... what does the copy in your sent-mail folder contain?

The copies in my sent folder do NOT contain any message-ID or
resent-message-ID lines except those that were present when the
message was received.

This means the SMTP server is adding the lines, as near as I can
figure.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6