PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:22:37 +0100

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:15:28 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>>Hmmm.  Trevor, is the message or vcf attachment pgp encoded/signed?
>>Also, you may need to look at the pgp libraries to see if they are
>>trying to contact the key servers.
>The message wasn't pgp encoded or signed, but the .vcf did contain my
>PGP key which PMMail passes to pgp to add to it's keyring - I strongly
>suspect PGP is contacting the keyserver (http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/), not
>pmmail, but what for?
>
>Searching for sbowring on this keyserver does not find me,
>so whatever's happening, it's not adding me to the server's
>database.
>
>Trevor: I would look through your PGP config and docs to see if there's
>        any mention of key servers or the string "pgp.ai.mit.edu"!
>
>        I am sure you will investigate anyway, but I'd certainly
>        like an explanation of this behaviour!

The pgp.cfg file does indeed show pgp.ai.mit.edu as the server to
contact if there is no matching key on hte keyring. I suspect that for
some reason PMMail thinks this is an encrypted or signed mail and hence
goes off to try to retrieve a key.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails