PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:23:50 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:23:19 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>Firstly I am using PGP v2.6.3i and not 5.x - this may have a bearing
>on the problem (I dind't want to have to go through setting up pgp
>again!).

This *shouldn't* be an issue. PGP 5.xi (which I use) can read and
verify PGP 2.6.x signatures.

>Secondly, the PGP key in the .vcf file was generated by PMMail/2,
>so if it's incorrect, then it *must*(!) be a bug in PMMail/2, maybe?

Generated by PMMail/2? How? PMMail/2 only calls PGP and PGPK to do
signing, encrypting and verifying/decrypting. It does not generate
keys.

Do you mean it was generated with PMMail 2000 Pro or that it was
retrieved from your public keyring by PMMail/2+PGPK?

>Thirdly, my PGP key *works* (I use it to talk about my top-
>secret terrorist activities - damn, what a giveaway), and is:

Shhhhhh! The NSA is listening!

Regardless...

>Which is *identical* to the one in my .vcf file (taking into consideration
>the quoted printable encoding of the CR LF/=0D=0A sequences at the
>end of lines and that "_" = " "):

If you are 100% certain that the keys are identical (the one in your
VCF and a copy extracted from PGP at a command line) then I'll take
your word for it.

>If you send an email to me with a subject of "$PGPKEY" (without the
>quotes), you will receive my PGP key by return - can you see if pgpk.exe
>is happy wit this (apparently identical) key?

I'll do better than that, I'll just rip your key out of the VCF and
compare its results to the key you attached to this message.

From what I can see, I would guess the problem is one of these:

- the QP encoding

- the tabs at the beginning of each line

I'm sure that any of these could screw up PGP. The key will not
import into my keyring until I convert/remove all the above.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6