Filter for crashing emails

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:49:08 -0300 (ADT)

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:30:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>I have not received any html email that crashes PMMail. However, if
>opening the email crashes PMMail, I would think that filtering would do
>the same thing since the message must be examined to filter it. If it

Possibly yes, possibly no. It seems to me it's possible that only
*displaying* the email is crashing PMMail, not parsing it.

Regardless, my filter does not even look at the body of the email,
only at its header.

>A better version is !(Header.toid="$c.acctid$" | Header.Cc="$c.acctid$")
>The filter can then be copied and used in multiple account environments.

Excellent, thanks!

>>  &
>>(Header.Content-Type="text/html")
>
>This will only catch well-behaved messages. I have found that this will
>not filter all html messages. My html filter is as follows:
>h.Content-Type="text/html" | b.subtype="html" | b="<html>" |
>a.subtype="html"
>So far this has captured all html messages.

And again, thanks!

>>5. Actions:
>>   a) Set status - read
>>   b) Move message - Trash
>>   c) Delete message - Local copy
>>   d) Inform user
>
>As stated in the help file (and my experience) the above filter actions
>will cause the filtered message to be marked as read and moved to the
>trash folder. That's it. Move and Delete are mutually exclusive. Each will

Negative. I have been using the above successfully for a LONG time.
Move and delete are not mutually exclusive here. If I delete from any
folder other than the Trash, the message is moved to the trash. If I
delete from the Trash, the message is removed from my hard drive.

Where in the Help does it contradict this?

Possibly if "true deletes" is checked the behaviour is different...

>cause any subsequent filter actions and any subsequent filters to not be
>executed. 5c and 5d will not occur. Moving the message to the trash folder

Again, this is not the behaviour I see here. The above filter worked
exactly as I claimed when I tested it. It did mark the message read,
it did move the message to the Trash folder, it did then remove it
from my hard drive and it finally notified me that the filter had
'found a message'.

However, you are right, further filters don't seem to work after this
filter.

>is the same as deleting the message with "Perform True Deletes" not set.
>5a isn't really needed since the trash folder icon will change back when
>the message is actually deleted. I prefer to know that my trash folder
>contains messages I haven't really read.

That is a valid concern. However, my filter was designed to remove
messages from the system, not leave them in the Trash so your Trash
icon shouldn't have been set if my filter worked.

There are some issues (with PMMail/2 at least) with the flashing of
the minimized status window (which is supposed to alert users to
unread mail). This is the reason why I set the status to 'read'. If
you want the message to remain in the trash, then leaving the status
'unread' makes sense.

>The message will not necessarily be  irretrievably deleted. Your filter as
>written will cause PMMail to delete the message according to the time
>frame for emptying the trash folder set in Account Settings...,
>Preferences page.

Again, this is incorrect. I have just repeatedly tested it and
definitely does work as I claimed.

Messages which are only "deleted" by a filter are moved to my Trash
folder.

Messages which are both 'moved' to Trash and then "deleted" by a
filter are removed from my system. No errors occur. Further filter
actions do indeed occur.

Furthermore, if you check mail from the minimized status bar, and you
do *NOT* set the status to "read" before moving the message to the
Trash and then deleting it, the status bar will flash and claim that
the account has unread messages but
when you maximize, of course, there will be no messages to read.

Again, I do not have true deletes checked.

Can you confirm or deny this?

Here is the test filter I am using to prove this (on my system at
least). I am testing with this as the ONLY filter I have active for
this account.

1. enabled
2. incoming
3. simple
4. search subject: for "test email for trevor"
5. move message to Trash
6. delete message (local copy)
7. inform user

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6