BSW and PMView and PMMail and the Timeline

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:29:44 -0400 (AST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:46:30 -0500 (EST), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>should be a positive move for PMView.  However, I am becoming
>increasingly concerned about the curtain of silence that's been dropped
>over PMMail development by BSW.

Ralph, there is no official "curtain of silence" over PMMail --
honestly!

>was boing to bring to the software.  Instead, we have gotten one minor
>bugfix/update - a year after it was promised by Southsoft - and a
>string of broken promises about timelines and improvements.

Part of the problem -- as anyone who has ever done software
development knows -- is that deadline predictions are had to make
with 100% certainty. But, many users have demanded predictions so the
Blueprint management was forced to make them. Then, if Blueprint was
unable to meet the predictions, the result was disappointed customers
(you).

In order to acquire PMMail many things had to be done: a new business
had to be started, a manager had to be hired, support staff had to be
hired and trained (and we're still learning!), marketing
documentation had to be created (including a web site), source code
had to be acquired/modified, a programmer had to be hired, etc.

If you consider that a developer working on an established product
without any of the above overhead might take half a year or so to
release a major new version, imagine how long it takes *with* the
above considerations.

Please be assured that a LOT of work continues on PMMail and
(hopefully) most of the "housekeeping" is finally finished and future
development should be more timely.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6