BSw

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:51:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:29:40 -0400 (EDT), Rodney R. Korte wrote:

>On the other hand, they've been taking a lot of crap, much of it
>unjustified, for a long time too.  As nearly as I can tell, a lot of
>it is from people who really don't have a good grasp on business,
>software development, or both.
>
>Consider the request/demand that certain features be added to PMMail/2.
>Even though the cost of development is high, and it is extremely unlikely
>that BSW could recoupe its losses, some folks still think it should be
>done- hey, they'll even pitch in 10 dollars (or one hundred, doesn't
>matter.  Ever heard the phrase "drop in the bucket"?).  This just doesn't
>make good business sense.  Then there are some who preach about various
>parts of the development cycle and how it should all be done, without
>ever having experience in any part of it.

Rodney,

Rewriting history doesn't change it.  What has caused problems for BSW
is its failure to communicate openly and honestly with their customers.
 It's as simple as that.  If BSW had announced that they were placing
PMMail/2 in maintenance mode, i.e. supplying occasional bug fixes only,
then nobody would have bothered requesting new features.  If BSW hadn't
promised to supply a list of bug fixes, then no one would be upset with
them for not supplying such a list.

See, it has nothing to do with "people who really don't have a good
grasp on business, software development or both", and it has nothing to
do with people making unreasonable demands on BSW, it's about treating
your customers with respect.

Ralph

rpcohen@neurotron.com