[pmmail-list] PMMail and network security issue.

Gene Gough pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:02:52 -0400

I just searched my entire TRASH folder and the only  "claiming to be" come from Rich
<rich@bearlycomputing.com>.  Also, his ID was the only one using PGP that showed up in my trash folder and
also had a hit on the word "claim".

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:10:32 -0500 (CDT), Maynard Riley wrote:

=>On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:18:09 -0400 (EDT), Rich wrote:
=>
=>>Maybe, but it's not making it through your server. If you check your own headers, there's no "claiming to
be" at the
=>>end of the first received line.
=>
=>Rich, I've never seen "claiming to be" anywhere that I recall. Also, my
=>posts to this list do not route through Weasel, but through my ISP.
=>
=>The HELO parameter as passed to both is 'captain', which you can see in
=>the first Received line which is supplied by my ISP.
=>
=>the Received line of Weasel looks quite the same:
=>
=>v1.20) for ....
=>
=>The first 'captain' is the HELO argument supplied by PMMail; the second
=>is Weasel's understanding of the name for its local IP, which I believe
=>it takes from HOSTS, but don't know that for certain.
=>
=>I changed the HOSTS file just now, and sent myself a local message via
=>Weasel. The header now shows:
=>
=>v1.20)
=>
=>Weasel may pick up the change in HOSTS if I restart it; but my version
=>of PMMail/2 (v.2.00.150) picked it up right away.
=>
=>	`~Maynard
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
=>line of the message body being...
=>
=>
=>

Gene Gough                                         IBM - Retired                                                  Marietta, GA
Gough Family Page  :  http://www.goughfamily.com/home/albums.htm
Gough History           :  http://www.goughfamily.com/familytree/goughtree.html
Professional  Page    :  http://www.goughfamily.com/resume/software_expert.html