[pmmail-list] PMMail/2 Sys3175 Crash

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:01:09 -0800

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:36:31 -0600, Scott E. Garfinkle wrote:

>It's not impossible to say, but I've come to the conclusion that you guys are utterly incapable
>of debugging your app if it fails. I personally have reported this trap numerous times, as well as something
>that seems pretty similar on Win98.

I've seen this bug reported numerous times, involving the space after
headers. I ususally suffer from it about once or twice a day under
Windows.

If the OS/2 register dump isn't enough, then the program should
register an exception handler and dump the registers and enough stack
to be useful to a file for post-mortem debugging. I did this in my own
OS/2 apps, and I remember that Golden Commpass (a CompuServe client)
produced a detailed stack dump on exceptions. It's not hard, and was
extremely useful in finding my bugs when they happened in the field. It
does presuppose that you can read assembler and infer back to what's
happening in your C code.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]