[pmmail-list] Migration to a new Hard Drive

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:17:57 +0100 (MEZ)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:13:34 -0800, Eric Riggert wrote:

> >   As to using the CD as intermediate storage, you have to be aware
> >that all files copied from CD to the Disk are configured as READ ONLY
> >which makes that you can't record any changes and it also causes
> >PMMail to crash in some situations since it assumes the files to be
> >writeable.
>
> <homer simpson> Doh! </homer simpson>
>
> Sometimes it's the obvious things that catch us.

  I just knew it since I did run into the same problem not long ago,
and it took me days to figure out what was wrong -- PMMail would
crash every time it had received a message and wanted to add it to
the FOLDER.BAG which was Read-Only ...

  As to these crashes: it would be a welcome change to PMMail if it
could check the Read-Only flag on at least the most important files
(e.g. FOLDER.BAG, any.INI) on startup, and/or add error handling for
the result of a WRITE operation.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main