[pmmail-2000] Feature request: RFC2369 list management

Kenneth Porter Kenneth Porter" <shiva@well.com
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:43:59 -0800

A recent message on a mailing list I subscribe to suggests a new
feature for PMMail to handle mailing lists. Of course, one can do this
manually now by selecting "show all headers", but it helps keep
unsubscribe noise off the mailing lists if mail clients do what they
can to help the clueless newbies. :-) Perhaps the message read window
can acquire an extra mailing list management menu whenever PMMail
detects that the current message has the special headers.

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Jack Sasportas wrote:
> I see what you are saying, what may be better since most people have
> their email clients set to view headers normal, would be to add this
> as a footer to each email, so it can't be missed...

A better suggestion: consider upgrading to a mail client that
implements RFC2369.  ;)

My mail client, pine, implements RFC2369.  Whenever I view a message
that contains RFC2369 headers, pine adds a footer to the message that
says:

    [ Note: This message contains email list management information ]

The footer counts as a selectable item; when I select it, it leads to
a menu that tells me all the actions I can take (unsubscribe, get
info, etc.), and will even walk me through those actions.

If your mail client doesn't support RFC2369, then I suggest either you
upgrade to one that does, or else bug the authors of your current mail
client to add support for RFC2369.  (At the *minimum*, make it so that
RFC2369 headers are treated as important headers (the same as From,
Subject, To, etc.) and are always exposed.)

Regards,

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute