[pmmail-list] Feature Request: Encrypt when key present

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:29:30 -0800

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:28:55 +0100 (MEZ), Lueko Willms wrote:

>   In the mean time, I had a look at it and I think that PMMail
>should encrypt by default any message to a recipient, where a key is
>known for, unless a switch in the address book (or "disable key")
>prevents it.

I would kill for one much simpler change, one that could be done in a minute
or two if BluePrintSoftwareWorks had the whim.....

Always and I mean Always turn on PGP when replying to a PGP'd message.

Simple, but a BRUTAL problem, every week I get back a reply to some
confidential message with my full text quoted, and the reply is not encrypted
because someone forgot to click on the PGP button....

Credit card numbers, email account logins, personal memos, salary info, root
passwords you name it, and I've seen it spilled out into the open, over and
over and over!!  All because PMMail always defaults to uncrypted when
replying to an encrypted message.

This has always been my #1 complaint in PMMail, and it's never been fixed,
even though the fix is trivial!  What excuse do I get?  Duh, what if the
message was from someone you don't have a key for!  Guess what!  You can
unclick the PGP button, you get a warning!  You would likely want to get that
persons key before replying anyway!  Why would you ever quote a PGP'd message
in open text by default!!

Damn.... this stupid failing bothers me....