[pmmail-list] IMAP. When?

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:41:36 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:55:37 +1000, Bernie Maier wrote:

>I could possibly set up something along those lines.  Unfortunately,
>you then miss out on remote folder manipulation and filtering.

I do it all on the "main" machine at my home/office. I get to see and
answer the mail While I'm away and I copy over the sent mail from my
laptop to maintain a record.

>My ISP supports both.  And remote sends is a different issue from IMAP
>anyway, isn't it.  It's all SMTP for me.

I just wondered. It is an issue for some. I run my own server so I can
do it how I want and I use APOP sends which means that I use PMmail's
POP send via an authenticated encrypted login and my POP3 talks to its
adjacent SMTPD and so the send is not on an open relay. Also I avoid
using an account on an ISP and having funny return addresses.

My next server will use APOP for the POP3 to collect mail and SMTP
after POP to allow remote sends. It stashes the IP of the connection to
POP in a list of OK addresses for SMTP. They time out after a short
period.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.