[pmmail-list] Fwd: Mem Leak in Recent Betas

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:17:46 +0200 (MES)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:50:51 -0700, Bill wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:33:13 +0200 (MES), L.Willms wrote:
>
>>   The design change should, in my view, consist in using real database
>> files, but not for the whole message, only for the indexed data. This would
>> enable PMMail also to implement a tree view of threads.
>

> Yes, but please, please, please do not put all messages in a single
> database.

   I definitely and very strongly support your view, which I tried to make
clear in my phrase cited above.

   Just the FOLDER.BAG should be reorganised, and some data added: MessageId
(if there is one), Message-Id of a message replied to, optional keywords which
a user might add for searching.

   Changing that is a decision not to be taken lightly since the current way
relies mostly on the file and directory structure what offloads a lot of work
from PMMail to the operating system.

   The best, maybe, is not to do away with the FOLDER.BAG (just adding those
files), but only building index files allowing indexed access to that file,
with Message-ID, sender, recipients, and date as keys.

Yours,
Lüko Willms