[pmmail-list] Display Drivers (was Re: Any thought of developing...)

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:59:55 +0100

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:28:00 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:49:01 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>Although I've never understood why, drivers simply
>>process blocks of pixels don't they, which by their very definition are
>>arbitrary in nature.
>
>OS/2 display drivers used to use a parrticularly complicated software
>model and were very hard work to develop and debug, and like
>most code, some code paths (like rendering text in unusual directions
>as on PMINew's tabs), get executed and/or tested a lot less than
>others (and many older OS/2 display drivers were buggy for quite
>a long time, even  doing normal stuff).

OK, I'd always wondered about this, but I think now that I can see what
you're saying. I certainly find that XFree86 video is a lot better than
OS/2 was even quite recently (my OS/2 box died a few weeks ago and I
have not resurrected it, so I think that will be the end of OS/2 for me
and I am rather sad but these things happen) once one has sorted out
the snags with recent hardware (Thanks Tim for the Savage driver
patches!)

--
Brian Morrison                                       bdm@fenrir.org.uk
              do you know how far this has gone?