[pmmail-list] inputting string of addresses to PMMail from text file

Dr. Jeffrey Race pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:48:47 -0500

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:50:21 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:49:51 -0500, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:
>>Highlighting, right-clicking to cut, then paste, 150 times is a lot
>>of work and leads to RSI.  I'm looking for a way to do 150 at a time.
>>
>  PMMail imports addresses using a CSV (comma separated variable) format. The online
>Help->Address_Book_Import/Export gives all the fields that must exist.
>  You can export an address book to see what it must look like and then convert your
>text file for match it. Just to be safe, place all fields, including empty ones, in
>double quotes (" ").

OK I booted to Win98, ran PMMail2000, and exported an address book to
confirm the CSV format.   It works BUT the problem is every address in
every address book (I have ten) is listed in a single file.   There is
no apparent way to distinguish what record comes from what book.

Example (a few lines from the output file):

 Adr,"asrg@ietf.org","asrg","asrg@ietf.org",1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 Adr,"abuse@att.net","AT&T","AT&T",1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 Adr,"bmt@wilmington.net","bmt","bmt@wilmington.net",1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 Adr,"mail-abuse@nic.br","Brazil","Brazil",1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 Adr,"postmaster@btamail.net.cn","BTAMAIL","BTAMAIL",1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I could easily put my addresses in this format but if I did
create such a file, then input it, where would it end up?
Would it overwrite everything?    There are no instructions in the
help file in PMM.

On a related topic, I am running PMMail 1.96 for OS/2 and have never
upgraded because it works so well for me, and I often find that
upgrades break something.   What are my options up from 1.96, and
what are the benefits and disadvantages of changing?

For example, I do NOT want to view html or ever send html.  However
the addressbook import idea (not in 1.96) is interesting.

Thanks for all help.

Jeffrey Race