[pmmail-list] It Was Bound To Happen -- HELP !!

Richard Beeson Richardelli at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 06:57:46 CET 2008

I have done several reinstalls of XP, up through the latest service packs, and have never had a problem installing PMMail. A couple of times Outlook tried to
hijack the system as the default email client. Have you gone into the "Set Programs and Defaults" panel of XP and checked the settings there? Another thing to
try is right-clicking on a file with PMMail's "msg" extension, pick "Open With," select PMMail, and check the box that says "always use this program to open this
kind of file" or whatever that message is. That did happen to me when Outlook tried to take over.

I am also running Thunderbird, for the times I have to view emails in HTML, but I don't allow TBird to clear mail off the server, and it is not set to be default. Be
sure that PMMail is set as your default.

Another option is, if you have to uninstall/reinstall PMMail yet again, to go into the registry and delete all references to PMMail before reinstalling it. Maybe a
registry entry is corrupt. If you don't have a good registry editor for performing global operations, try Resplendent Registrar. It also has Undo features as well as
a good registry search engine.

Hang in there. The separate files are worth it. I used TBird for 10 months and gave up in disgust when it took me nearly a week to save messages out
individually for archiving.

Richard

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:08:08 -0800, Phil Kane wrote:

>I have been using PMMail from its inception in the OS/2 days, and
>continued to use it when we went to Win 98, then NT, and now XP.  It was
>working really well up until last Thursday when XP had a major failure,
>and had to be reinstalled.  From that time on, any attempt to start
>PMMail results in an error message "The application failed to initialize
>properly (0xc0000018).  Click on OK to terminate the application."
>Reinstalling a fresh copy of PMMail 2K Pro (or Standard) did not make
>any difference.  My wife's machine runs the same WinXP and PMMail setup
>as mine does and it works just fine.

>Looks like it's still a WinXP problem and I'm sick and tired of messing
>with reinstalls of that monster - everything else seems to work OK, and
>I have a lot of apps to reinstall in spite of having full backups and
>MS's Transfer "Wizard" files available.

>OK  - MY MS rant is over.  Now I need some constructive help.

>I have reluctantly installed Mozilla Thunderbird as my mail program, but
>it lacks two features of PMMail  - use of an external text editor for
>composition, and storage of messages as individual files.  If I can get
>PMMail back to life I would stick with it.  Otherwise, I'm going to have
>to use T-Bird.

>First "thank you" will be given to anyone who can decipher that error
>message enough to tell me what is missing.  I'm enough of a hacker to
>swipe a copy from my wife's machine and pout it on mine.

>If that doesn't pan out, there was some discussion of a migration
>program from PMMail to T-Bird.  I have my whole PMMail program backed up
>on a separate hard disk, and if the migration requires a running session
>of PMMail I can always load those accounts and folders on my wife's
>machine to generate the required files.  Unfortunately,  I don't have a
>copy of the message that gave the source of the migration program.  Does
>anyone have that?

>I would appreciate any help that is out there.

>--
>    Phil Kane

Richard Beeson
Richardelli at earthlink.net