Feature Request--All Versions

Paul Wiener PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 01:47:11 -0700

Something just happened to me that I'm sure happens to many of us from time
to time. I started PMMail and it came up, started a fetch for my main
account, and said I had 36 messages on queue, and that it was getting message
#1. A short time later, I noticed it was still on message 1, and no
percentage had appeared. When I looked again a minute later, it was still
stuck in same status. I decided something had probably gone wrong with my POP
link and so I closed and restarted PMMail.

The same thing happened on the second pass, so I quit PMMail again, telnetted
into the account, and looked at my in folder with pine. The problem was that
the first message in the queue contained a 6.5 Mb attachment. I suppose that
if I'd checked my serial interface activity monitor before closing PMMail, I
might have gotten a notion without having to go to shell, but I didn't think
of that at the time.

Anyway, I knew what the attachment was and it was something legit; I didn't
want to delete the message. So what do I do next? If I restart PMMail, it
will begin the automatic fetch again; but I want to receive my other 35
messages before PMMail devotes itself to that. So I can change the account
settings (or properties) to use remote control, re-exit and restart PMMail
once again, and use remote to get all the normal messages.

OR, *before* restarting PMMail, I could break my connection with the host.
Then I only need to restart PMMail one more time instead of twice. The
problem is that I may have something else going, an ftp session or a net
meeting or whatever, that makes breaking the connection undesirable.

What I'd really like is a key that I can hold down while PMMail is starting
that overrides all automatic fetches and lets me reconfigure. That's my
feature request. Okay, go ahead Steve. Shoot me down. I'll try to take it
like a man.

--
___________
Paul Wiener