Experiences sought: fetchmail/sendmail + pmmail + small network

Jessen, Per PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:55:41 +0100

We run a couple of small networks, and connect to our ISP using masquerading
on
Linux. Most of the systems are Linux, except for peoples personal laptops
and others which are Win95.
For email we use PMMAIL98.
We use diald to connect to the ISP, either on demand or on a regular basis,
and
would like to use fetchmail to retrieve mails (for multiple accounts) when
the link
is up.
Currently, each user will fetch their own mail - works quite well, but ...

So, this is what I'd like to do:

setup fetchmail to retrieve mail from one or more POP-accounts - all
accessible via
the same PPP-connection.
have this mail distributed to either the users personal home-directory
(shared via SAMBA)
or stored in "/var/spool/mail"
We don't do much internal email, but if I end up having to get sendmail
running internally,
that'd be a welcome extra bonus.
If we could also have mail sent with PMMAIL queued up for transmission when
the link is
up, that'd be perfect.

I feel certain sendmail will do most of this for me, but without being much
of a sendmail
wizard, I'd be very grateful for some hints and pointers.
I know the Linux HOWTOs will probably get me going, but if someone has been
here
before me, perhaps you're willing to share your experiences ?

MTIA,
Per Jessen,
ENIDAN Consulting Ltd.