Can PMMAIL (win) do this?

Kevin A. Foss PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:13:47 -0400

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 03:02:02 +0300, Cristian Secara wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:27:20 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>
>>There isn't and shouldn't be though one is being added. The *OS* is
>>responsible for starting the connection, no the individual applications.
>>Anyone who has DUN installed gets that by default as DUN itself will
>>autostart when an internet connection is needed.
>
>Are you sure about this ? Where is the switch that turns on such a
>feature ?

Go to the Control Panel, click on the "Internet" icon and then the
Connections tab.  There should be an option to "Connect to the internet
as needed."  This is extremely annoying as it doesn't seem to discern
between local and internet traffic, so say telnetting to a machine
across an ethernet LAN will cause the dialup prompt to come up.  If you
only use such things when dialed up (e.g. you don't have a network)
then I suppose it can be handy.

>This belongs to an individual application (IE), not to DUN.
>What's the use of this option if there was already DUN to take care
>about this ?

Because there is a lot of redundancy in Microsoft apps.  The mail
programs ("Internet Mail", Outlook, etc.) often have their own
connection options as well.  I have no idea what happens if you set
conflicting settings.

-Kevin
--
Kevin A. Foss   ---   kfoss@mint.net