Text wrapping?

Paul Wiener PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:51:54 -0700

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:09:52 -0500, treasure.mountain wrote:

>I'd appreciate it if someone could explain email text wrapping to me.
>
>I recently started using a canned reply.  Apparently the auto-wrap at
>72 characters setting that works for individually composed messages
>doesn't work here, since I got a complain that the paragraphs were all
>one one line. I've fixed that by putting in hard returns manually, but
>it makes me wonder why email is set up this way.

It probably worked. Due to a lack of 'net-wide standards, there is no
one-size-fits-all wrap column that will ensure freedom from complaints no
matter whom you mail to. Generally, an overly wide wrap will cause fewer
problems than one that's too narrow. You might try column 78.

--
___________
Paul Wiener

paulish@paulish.com