PGP signatures

Cristian Secara PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 05:18:46 +0300

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 16:33:22 -0700, Paul Wiener wrote:

>[...] uh, what do you mean
>by, "letting aside the aberration?" Would PGP encryption cause the message to
>be blurred?

I find too big the effort involved.

For me, the single place where encryption may have sense, is at work,
where:
a) there may be something important for a given business
b) there may be something pure personal and I simply don't want other
people they read my message

In any case, I have first to make a deal with the involved e-mail
partner (configuring software, exchanging keys). The most difficult
task is to explain what the hell this encryption is and how does it
work ! (have you ever tried to explain this to a young lady, whose
almost all knowledge about computers is double-click MS Word -> open
file -> [write text] -> save as ... -> print ?)

If it happens to receive an encrypted message from an unknown or vague
known sender, whose public key - if it happens to be PGP - I didn't
have, if there is no evidence of the importance of the message, it is
most likely that that message will be deleted.

Remember, PGP is not the single encryption system available. It's free
for non-commercial users only. If a company have to pay for using
encryption software, how can I know they purchase PGP and not Verisign
?
I want to say that before sending encrypted e-mail, *both* parts
involved (sender and receiver) have to agree if and what encryption
method they will use.

Too complicated ...

Best wishes,
        Cristi