problem was (null)

Kris Sorem Sr PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:03:05 -0700

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 00:16:36 +0200, Roger Lindmark wrote:

>It works for me also, but this pre-send and post-send have always
>confused me. This is from the online help:
>
>" 'Outgoing (Pre-Send)' filtering is
> performed on every outgoing message, before it is
> sent. 'Outgoing (Post-Send)' filtering is applied after
> each outgoing message, but before the message is
> deposited in your 'Sent' folder. "
>
>For me it seems that all are Post-Send, as I get the filter triggered
>after I hit F5. Pre-Send I think would be that the filter is triggered
>when the message is on the way to the outbox. I would be very happy if
>someone could shed light upon this matter.

Here is the sequence of events:
F5 initiates PMMail send mail processing. If message drafting is active
when key pressed, PMMail builds the message (the message header and any
signature is appended to the body and stored by sequential numbered file
in the Outbox folder).  At this point send mail processing stops unless
send immediate flag is set or message drafting was not active and messages
are present in the Outbox folder. If either condition is met, PMMail looks
for and processes all Pre-Send filters for any message(s) stored in the
Outbox folder. After all Pre-Send filters have been processed, PMMail
calls the SendMail routine if any message remains in the Outbox folder.
The SendMail routine transmits each message to the server. At completion
of the SendMail routine, PMMail looks for and processes all Post-Send
filters for each message in the Outbox folder. PMMail then moves any
message remaining in the Outbox folder to the Sent folder.

Both Pre-Send and Post-Send filters are processed as part of the PMMail
send mail processing. The essential difference is Pre-Send filters are
processed BEFORE calling the SendMail routine while Post-Send filters are
processed AFTER calling the SendMail routine. If a Pre-Send filter moves
or deletes a message from the Outbox folder, that message is never sent
because the SendMail routine never sees that message. If a Post-Send
filter moves or deletes a message from the Outbox folder, the message is
sent but is not moved to the Sent folder.

If a Pre-Send filter opens a message in the Outbox folder, a new draft
copy is created in the PMMail temp folder. The original message remains in
the Outbox folder and will be sent to the server unless moved or deleted
by the Pre-Send filter. To get a null subject filter to preserve the
message while blocking its transmission, the null subject filter must be a
Pre-Send filter. The Pre-Send filter at a minimum must Open the filtered
message and then move or delete the original from the Outbox folder.
--
ATB,
/s/~Kris