problem was (null)

Robb Selby PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:20:06 -0500

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 00:16:36 +0200, Roger Lindmark wrote:

>For me it seems that all are Post-Send, as I get the filter triggered
>after I hit F5. Pre-Send I think would be that the filter is triggered
>when the message is on the way to the outbox. I would be very happy if
>someone could shed light upon this matter.

As far as I understand it.  Pre-Send happens when it is being moved to
the outbox to send, because once something hits the outbox, if you have
send immediately in your account, it is gone.  Post Send is when the copy
of the message that just left the outbox is being moved to Sent Mail...
but the message is already gone if you filter Post Send and will end up
only affecting what goes into your Sent Mail folder, and NOT the actual
mail sent.  That is my understanding of how it works and seems verified
by what I have sent to myself.

So, what happens with the filter being set to Post-Send is this.  The
message goes to the outbox with a null subject AND gets sent, then the
filter kicks in, puts up the message and you change the subject and turn
off the signature, and when you send it, you actually send the message
again, with a subject.  So the recipient gets the message twice, once
with null subject and once with the new subject.  Big difference from
doing it Pre-Send so that it affects the message BEFORE it gets sent from
the outbox, because you delete the original from the outbox then, put up
the message, and then resend it, so it only gets sent once.  However,
because you do the delete, only the note with a subject will show up in
your Sent Mail folder, which is misleading since you have actually sent
it twice.

No Rain - No Rainbows
Robb Selby              \\\\\\\                Oooo
robbselby@earthlink.net ( o o )           oooO(    )