Not dead yet...

Anders Gjerløv pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:40:41 GMT

> I got flamed when I suggested before that as OS/2 is effectively dead =

as
> a desktop operating system (heresy,  heresy!) writing mail clients for=

it
> was hardly likely to to result in a bank balance similar to that of =

Bill Gates
> (spit,  spit!).
I personally would prefer PMMail to be released for BeOS. That way I =

could get rid of two dying os's instead of just one. As I see it BeOS =

is the best designed os out there - although admittedly somewhat short =

on apps.

> I also said that I had never come across another user of the PMmail  =

98
> who was not, like me, a migrant from OS/2 (traitor, renegade!)
While I do use both - I used Windows before OS/2. I'm just glad that I =

can use PMMail regardsless of whether I'm in OS/2 or Windows (but not =

when I boot up Linux or BeOS)

> I suspect it depends on when Bob and Icon have got a bit of time to =

spare
> for their hobby ...
Hobby or full-time - I really don't care too much. A mail client is in =

itself a diffucult battlefield to earn money in. Most people use
whatever they have available (I'm writing this e-mail in Star Office's =

internal mail program - so now I'm the "traitor" ;o). I will however =

for some time still be using PMMail, and will probably upgrade when
and if a new version comes out. If not - I'll find another way to
communicate. I do suspect though that there will ALWAYS be users that =

do want the extra power of a good mail program - and therefore are
willing to pay for it. Let the number of registrations decide whether =

Southsoft wants to continue developing OS/2 versions of PMMail or not. =

I do feel that if they thought it was a total waste of money, they
would stop (and I would be the first to understand and accept
that!!!). And since they (apparently) have not stopped - it must be
because there still is money to be earned for "the dying os".

Whether or not OS/2 will be developed further or not will not stop me =

from using the existing os for a substantial amount of years.
Hopefully long enough for there to be a really good alternative to
Windows, or long enough for Windows to mature enough for me (not
likely to happen imho).

Regards,
Anders