Not dead yet...

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:31:44 -0700

Thursday, August 26, 1999, 9:20:19 AM, Jon wrote:
> Gee, I think Linux is the hardest.  I think WinNT may be easier
> than OS/2, and like you said, w95 is the easiest.  Linux is
> hardest because it doesn't find my nic out-of-the-box and I have
> to find the driver, build it, etc.

    This is, for the most part, a complete fallacy.  I know that Red Hat loves
to have damn near everything as a module so chance are it might have found it.
As for others, no need to "find the driver" as they all are part of the kernel
and are configured from there.  The end result is a custom kernel for that
machine, which is recommended anyway.

> I can't get sound to work with my true Sound Blaster ISA card. Even os/2
> finds that stuff and sets it up. I admit I haven't put the time in learning
> it as I put into learning dos, win31, & os/2. I've put almost no time into
> learning W95 and get around in that fairly well.

    Now try to do something complex in Windows.  Easy to use, for me, is not
"Ohhh, look, I can move windows around.  Wow, I can drag this here and it
looks neat!"  Easy to use, for me, is being able to find all instances of a
line that contain one string, pulling that string apart, adding all of the
numerical values together... for 200+ files in under 5 minutes when my boss
asks me to do it "now."

    In windows I would have been lost as to how to go about it.  All of the
graphical niceties in the world have no comparison to the following:

cat *.??Aug1999 | perl foo

"foo" being this:

while (<>){
  if ($_ /^ZXcancelled\s*=\s*(\d*)$/){
    $total += $1;
  }
}
print("$total\n");

    *That* is easier than going through each file, finding each line and
adding it all together which is how most Windows folks would do it.