"New Mail Check" is broken

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:49:07 -0700 (PDT)

Sir,

Re Version 2.00.1500 (and probably older versions)

On the Receive tab of the Account Settings page one can
select "Check for New Mail Every" and then enter a
period  of time. Well, this automatic function breaks
after a few minutes or hours and hangs at the point
where the bottom msg says "Connecting to POP Server ...
". I have no idea why. PMMail can remain in this hung
condition forever but can be reset by clicking on
"Fetch Mail for the Current Account".

This is a clear bug and a serious one. First, I use
this to disable an automatic disconnect by my ISP.
Next, I can do other work while waiting for an expected
email to sound its arrival and get my attention.

There is a PMMail list (pmmail@rpglink.com) that I
monitor, and several users have the same identical
complaint. Also, a few said they thought you knew about
this problem but were unsure how to fix it (???). Well,
the problem absolutely needs to be fixed, and here is
an unenlightened, brute-force suggestion on how to
approach it.

First, the program knows when to display "Connecting to
POP Server ... ", so when this condition is present,
start a timer, maybe with the same timer as that used
for checking for new mail, and if a download is not in
progress, or the "last fetch ..." message has not been
posted, then do a software version of the "Fetch Mail
for the Current Account" command.

There might be a better way, but, please, do something.

w3

Bill Wood
Las Vegas, NV
wwwood@lv.rmci.net