"New Mail Check" is broken

Hazen Woods pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:13:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:49:07 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:

>>Sir,
>>
>>Re Version 2.00.1500 (and probably older versions)
>>
>>On the Receive tab of the Account Settings page one can
>>select "Check for New Mail Every" and then enter a
>>period  of time. Well, this automatic function breaks
>>after a few minutes or hours and hangs at the point
>>where the bottom msg says "Connecting to POP Server ...
>>". I have no idea why. PMMail can remain in this hung
>>condition forever but can be reset by clicking on
>>"Fetch Mail for the Current Account".

Thanks for this clear explanation of the problem.  I was just ready to write
a post to point out the same thing.  For me I have this is happening more
frequently over the last 3-4 weeks.

>>This is a clear bug and a serious one. First, I use
>>this to disable an automatic disconnect by my ISP.
>>Next, I can do other work while waiting for an expected
>>email to sound its arrival and get my attention.

 I subscribe to some news update programs through my home PC, but have them
bounce to work.   The most important of these is a noon update to the stock
market conditions.  I have  InJoy and PMMail/2 configured for InJoy to run
for 2 hours and stop and restart at the next prompt from PMMail.  PMMail/2
runs every 6 minutes. With more and more regularity the bounce doesn't take
place. I get home and PMMail/2 is hung as you describe.

>>There is a PMMail list (pmmail@rpglink.com) that I
>>monitor, and several users have the same identical
>>complaint. Also, a few said they thought you knew about
>>this problem but were unsure how to fix it (???). Well,
>>the problem absolutely needs to be fixed, and here is
>>an unenlightened, brute-force suggestion on how to
>>approach it.

I have raised this issue myself in the past,  but no response as to a fix.

COme on BoB, Ikon !!!

>>First, the program knows when to display "Connecting to
>>POP Server ... ", so when this condition is present,
>>start a timer, maybe with the same timer as that used
>>for checking for new mail, and if a download is not in
>>progress, or the "last fetch ..." message has not been
>>posted, then do a software version of the "Fetch Mail
>>for the Current Account" command.
>>
>>There might be a better way, but, please, do something.

In some way or another there has to be a timer that will reset.  Best way, I
suppose would be to fix the problem.

>>Bill Wood
>>Las Vegas, NV
>>wwwood@lv.rmci.net