Any Questions about or Suggestions for the next release?

Jonathan B. Bayer pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:42:32 -0400

I think you missed the point.  He probably wasn't using an HPFS drive,
unless he was running Windows NT.  Windows 95/98 and OS/2 can share FAT
partitions only.

Given a shared partition, an OS/2 version of PMMail and a Windows
version of PMMail can share the same database.  I used to do that,
until my company dropped OS/2, now I only use the Windows version.  I
was sharing an HPFS partition while using Windows NT 4.0, using the
pinball.sys driver.

JBB

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:32:59 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:

>Thanks, Xavi. That's interesting. So, PMMail98 can read
>and write to an existing HPFS PMMail data base/setup,
>even though Win95/98 does not provide operating system
>support for HPFS. Does that mean that PMMail98 has
>native HPFS support? If this is true, I'll buy some
>PMMail98. But this can't be true, because Win95 won't
>even see the HPFS drive. ... ??, hmmm, unless I'm
>missing your point big time.
>
>The issue is 'coherency' (like with multiple processor
>caches) so that both mail apps use the same database
>or, if they use separate ones, that both are updated at
>the end of each session (or other appropriate times).
>If the OS2 database is used to *setup* the 98 database,
>but then they go their separate ways, then coherency is
>not achieved. This is all very confusing and to do what
>I want in a general way is beginning to look deuce
>difficult.
>
>As for Navigator, I'm more interested that the setup
>and bookmark functions can be merged between OS2 and
>Win95. I'll use PMMail for mail.
>
>w3
>
>PS ... I'm partial to the Great Smoky Mountains.
>
>==========
>
>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:55:18 +0200, xavier caballe
>wrote:
>
>>>from OS2. Having PMMail for Win95 might be a
>>>convenience if it and the OS2 version can use the same
>>>mail archive/database/setup/etc. So far as I know,
>>>PMMail doesn't allow me to specify the location for
>>
>>I have both PMMail for Windows and OS/2 using exactly the same mail
>>database and setup. I just selected the PMMail for OS/2 directory (on a
>>HPFS drive) when I installed PMMail 98. PMMail automatically used my mail
>>database and setup information.
>>
>>>open. (BTW. I would like to be able to do the same for
>>>Netscape - any comments?).
>>
>>You can share the mail folder in Netscape. Just change the Mail folder in
>>Netscape preferences.
>>
>>>There is also the question of HPFS. Right now my OS2
>>>drives are HPFS. I assume anything Windows can't read
>>>anything HPFS. So if one wanted a common mail
>>
>>There are some freeware/shareware utilities that offer a limited access to
>>HPFS from DOS. But if you want a full access, currently only OS/2 and
>>Windows NT can offer this feature.
>>

>>Xavi
>>---
>>Foghorns blowing in the night, salt sea in the morning breeze,
>>driving cars all allong the coastline... This must be what paradise is like
>>

>w3
>
>Bill Wood
>Las Vegas, NV
>wwwood@lv.rmci.net
>
>Support Bilingual Education
> ...  English and Mathematics

- --
ICQ # 44910403
Power Listviewer URL:   http://www.bigfoot.com/~PowerListviewer
PMMail Archiver URL:    http://www.bigfoot.com/~Jonathan_Bayer/archiver

For PGP Public key block/Fingerprint send the following message to me as the Subject:
        Send PGP Signature